.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

We The People: Responsible for Tomorrow

Is the keyboard mightier than the Government? I hope to hell it is!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee

Although public relations has historically been considered a practice used to fool more of the people than your competition does, I think PR can be used to promote ethical reform in media, business, government and society, as well as in protecting our Constitutional rights from being whored out by the turn of a phrase. I got my degree in public relations to use the power and practices of PR and communications to promote a return to honesty in our everyday interactions. Whether between spouses or nations is irrelevant. My ideas and methods are unique, creative and sometimes even radical. I'm a communicator and a writer. At pickumber-writes I'll write about things I think need to be discussed, debated and possibly changed. As a collective society, if we aren't communicating, we aren't going to make it.

Friday, July 08, 2005

Who The Hell Is This Guy?



Since I'm virtually a new baby in this addictive world of "Blog," have many opinions and thoughts that I can't seem to keep to myself, love to write and will offend people, I thought a little information about me would be appropriate.

First of all, I haven't resembled this picture for many years. I did however spend five years in the U.S. Navy working as a broadcast journalist after I dropped out of high school and lost my job as a radio announcer, which I thought would last forever. I served aboard the USS Constellation, studied Journalism, Broadcasting and Public Affairs at the Defense Information School, and lived in the Republic of the Philippines when President Ferdinand Marcos was ousted from power witnessed him flee with his tail between his legs. Also while in the Navy, I visited Australia, Singapore, Kenya and the Western Pacific and Indian Oceans. I also married for the first time while in the Navy. This may have worked out if I liked her and she liked me, but it was simply a case of me being lonely and her wanting the benefits that went with being a Navy wife.

Upon my honorable discharge I returned to my home state of Montana and spent some time working as a radio announcer and newscaster in Livingston and Billings, Montana and Buffalo, Wyoming. I went through bars and girlfriends like a tazmanian devil and for the most part, enjoyed the life of a young man with very little responsibility.

Refusing to accept adulthood, I somehow landed a job as a television copywriter, where I met wife number two. After being awarded a TV Copywriter of the Year Award, I convinced myself I was the DaVinci of the TV commercial and headed for the greener pastures of northwestern Montana and a job with "growth potential." This is where I learned "growth potential" was synonymous with "rock bottom." I continued to hang out in the bars, but quit chasing strange women... until one day. That was the end of Wife number two. I actually liked, even loved this one, and learned the pain of losing something due to my own inadequacies. I also felt the pain of self-inflicted guilt... until I numbed it with Budweiser and Quervo. When my boss suggested I get some help with my drinking, I had to agree. So I quit my job and got a job tending bar, which in my wierd way of thinking, was a great place to get help drinking. And help drinking I got! I think I'll continue this abbreviated autobiography later, so check back in.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home