.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

We The People: Responsible for Tomorrow

Is the keyboard mightier than the Government? I hope to hell it is!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee

Although public relations has historically been considered a practice used to fool more of the people than your competition does, I think PR can be used to promote ethical reform in media, business, government and society, as well as in protecting our Constitutional rights from being whored out by the turn of a phrase. I got my degree in public relations to use the power and practices of PR and communications to promote a return to honesty in our everyday interactions. Whether between spouses or nations is irrelevant. My ideas and methods are unique, creative and sometimes even radical. I'm a communicator and a writer. At pickumber-writes I'll write about things I think need to be discussed, debated and possibly changed. As a collective society, if we aren't communicating, we aren't going to make it.

Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Does Media Affect Our Lives? It Did Mine

When I look back over my life, and after I’m done wincing, cringing and shaking my head in shame, several media productions come to mind, which have left a deep impact on my life in one way or another.
Chronologically, I’d have to say a visit to Billings by America’s first shock jock; Wolfman Jack impelled me to pursue a career as a radio announcer beginning at the age of fifteen. This single event has repeatedly affected my life in various ways and continues to play a part in whom I am and who I’m striving to become.
Next in line, would be Jack Nicholson’s portrayal of Randall Patrick McMurphy in “One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest.” I think by reading Ken Kesey’s book and then seeing the film at a relatively young age, I was fortunate to be moved by the concept. Even though now I realize that the underlying message in the story goes much deeper, at the time it instilled in me the belief that it was not only okay to question authority, but it was admirable to beat the drum that feels right to you, regardless of what the status quo wants to hear. It led to my first epiphany that made me aware that the people with power weren’t always the people that were right, a belief that I continue to value.
The “Gonzo” journalism of Dr. Hunter S. Thompson was introduced to me a short time later through the books and movies “Where the Buffalo Roam” and “Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.” Although I’m not certain exactly what moved me, I was pleased to learn that a person could be the total opposite of what was considered politically correct, and still be respected and sought out to lecture and to work, based simply on his talent and ability to excel at his craft. Thompson’s total disregard for protocol and pomp appeared to enhance his abilities and opportunities as a journalist. His deformed way of seeing the World as his test tube, and then relating his visions to the rest of society, kindled my love of the power of words. This is also what impressed on me that you can go through life just being who you truly are. It may not always be pretty or easy, but at least you are being true to yourself.
The horrible events of January 28th, 1986 made it brutally clear to me that this gift we enjoy called life, is not ours to do with as we please. The explosion of the Space Shuttle Challenger reminded me that we do not control our destiny. Furthermore, it taught me that what seems to be a great accomplishment one moment can just as easily be seen as a great tragedy only ten seconds later, and vice versa. The overall lesson I learned that day, is to celebrate each day that we have this gift we call life.
Following the events I’ll refer to as Round 1 of the Bush v. Hussein dramedy, I began to lose faith in the media and hold very little respect for the productions they so arrogantly allowed us to view. I went from a U.S. Navy trained broadcast journalist who, like an addict, read three newspapers and watched two hours of national and local news before I could leave the house each day, to an angry citizen who felt my intelligence was insulted daily by the half-truths, propaganda and commercial and political rhetoric that eventually became the norm distributed to the world by the media. I became ashamed of not only what appeared to be the degradation of the ethics of journalism, but I was also disgusted with the willingness of the public to accept and believe whatever came out of the box labeled as news.

That being said, the most recent media production to affect me deeply was a documentary I was assigned to watch for a class I was taking. I had to watch it three times just to begin to figure out why I was so emotionally affected by it each time. In “Bowling for Columbine,” film director Michael Moore presents an alarming number of issues that are suspect of aiding in the degradation of political morals, the manipulation of the U.S. Constitution and the human rights it represents, and the breakdown of not only personal, but also family ethics and values that were so proudly displayed by Americans in the not too distant past. The film made me ask, has America gotten so far out of control that it’s too late to fix what’s broke? Can one idealistic man affect a positive change in this fragile place in time and space?
While every media production mentioned here has had a profound and lasting affect on me, it was this last one that has strengthened my convictions and given me direction of where to go in Public Relations. I am determined to take my education and knowledge acquired throughout life, add to them the skills and techniques I’m currently striving to master, and do my best to turn things around. When people ask what I’ll do with a degree in Public Relations, I’ll look them in the eye and tell them, “I’m going to change the World.”
">Link

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If only you took that idealism and researched whther or not Moore sold you a bill of goods.

Go. Look around. Find out if he told you the truth.

August 09, 2005 4:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

'She's got the sloe eyes and bitchin' bod of the . . . ' Oops. There...
As a longtime journalist you'd think he'd know better. He did not. Richard Gee wrote on his blog at SportsJournalists.com about a young woman in a journalism class he was teaching at Boston University: "Of my ...
Wow! I like your blog! I be back and so will my friends. Looks like you've found your niche.

I have a home based business site.

Come and take a look when you get time.

August 09, 2005 5:28 PM  
Blogger Ainsley_Jo_Phillips said...

So glad I came across you a few days ago!

Although--as I've said before--we might not share the same view of our Daddy & Sonny Presidents, I definitely believe that, overall, we're on the same page when it comes to life.

I, too, am distressed at the overall drop in good values that shows its ugly demon head in a variety of ways and a number of places--and, like you, I think we can make a difference individually as well as when we're organized into a group/crowd.

Look at Rosa Parks!

Write On!
AJ :-)

November 13, 2005 11:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home