.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

We The People: Responsible for Tomorrow

Is the keyboard mightier than the Government? I hope to hell it is!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee

Although public relations has historically been considered a practice used to fool more of the people than your competition does, I think PR can be used to promote ethical reform in media, business, government and society, as well as in protecting our Constitutional rights from being whored out by the turn of a phrase. I got my degree in public relations to use the power and practices of PR and communications to promote a return to honesty in our everyday interactions. Whether between spouses or nations is irrelevant. My ideas and methods are unique, creative and sometimes even radical. I'm a communicator and a writer. At pickumber-writes I'll write about things I think need to be discussed, debated and possibly changed. As a collective society, if we aren't communicating, we aren't going to make it.

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Wish I Would Have Written This

I found this brilliant piece of analysis and commentary at www.axisoflogic.com. I can relate to, agree with, and am envious of the author. He's from New Zealand but seems to have a fairly clear understanding of American government. A very enjoyable read.


Philosophical Drunks
By Lance Broughton
Aug 7, 2005, 09:33


"Facts have a cruel way of substituting themselves for fancies. There is nothing more remorseless, just as there is nothing more helpful than truth." William C Redfield

The older I get, the more disillusioned I become. None of the self defined ‘experts’ understand that sobriety is the scourge of mankind. It always has been and it always will be.

Whereas us drunks see the world as a kindly place where we look after each other and make sure the dog is fed at six p.m., come hell or high water we benefit by our non-interference in the lives of others. We break no laws deliberately and we pose no challenge to authority. Minding our own business, smoking and drinking to maintain Mother Nature’s perspective, is our much undervalued contribution to society. Without our drunken philosophies, governments would have to treble the taxation of those suffering from the dysfunctional morbidity of sobriety.

Philosophically speaking, I have yet to see drunks declare war or invade another nation. Nor have I seen them armed to the teeth with weapons of mass destruction patrolling the streets in defence of the inevitable. The inevitable is of course, the result of poor decision-making by those suffering from sobriety. Politically sober decisions promote money making schemes that are primarily designed to oppress drunks and those capable of thinking rationally. It’s a case of ‘down with everything sensible and to hell with actuality’.

The high mindedness of sobriety is all that counts. The words ‘commonsense and honesty’ have been given the George Orwell ‘1984’ treatment and removed from the dictionary. History is rewritten to suit the current opinions of those who consider themselves politically superior. Drunks, because of their deep-throated philosophies, are considered politically dangerous and thus hounded in the name of National Security using laws such as the Patriotism Act and Bill of Rights. The first six pages of those laws outline citizens’ undeniable rights, passed down from history; the remaining 4049 pages explaining why it is politically convenient to take them away again. It will never be admitted that the sole reason militaries exist is to protect the government from their own people.

Old age catches up and sadly I find myself descending into depressing bouts of sobriety. When I awake in the morning, the pain is absolutely terrifying. My mouth is dry and my head aches like Dean Martin’s ‘little ol’ wine drinking me’ repeating like a stuck record. It’s a terrible feeling compared with the easy-going mood of the previous evening.

Sobriety is a mind-altering drug and my perception is heightened to the extent I can clearly see that politicians are the only terrorists worth worrying about and the millions of laws are designed to benefit nobody but themselves. I see corruption expanding in the name of politically backed businesses and even the justice system is contrived to advocate absolute obedience to authority. The cost of competent defence is beyond Mr Average and the system blatantly defends the systematic inner circles from uneducated outsiders. Truth telling has become redundant. It simply doesn’t fit into the system in any form or manner. Lies are considered the honest application of justice.

I now understand that the Statue of Liberty will be returned to the French in due course. Apparently the symbolic gesture of raising the torch of freedom is considered unpatriotic in the politically oppressed land of freedom and liberty. Mind you, it’s much the same in all so-called civilised countries. My own country, New Zealand, is well on the way to ego damaging sobriety. They started with banning smokers in bars and now booze is being subtly promoted as a threat to sobriety.

Thank God I won’t live to see the destruction of a once fine country. Politically inspired sobriety is hazardous to us philosophical drunks. Pass the bottle

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home